May 14, 2012
A critical element of Leadership is creating strong teams to get the right things done. Emphasis on “to get the right things done”. Effective teams ARE effective because they have a Leader who has figured out that delivering the RIGHT things is the objective. It’s all about execution.
Here are 5 things to consider:
1. Create your Strategic Game Plan. Your strategy. Engage your team in the process. Let them play an active role in shaping their collective future. Shared visions are more likely to evoke the energy and commitment necessary to execute well. Top- down direction-setting not so much. Shared accountability bonds people together and gives them permission to call on each other when things go off track.
2. Keep it alive. Team flourish when they are winning the battle, so the Leader’s job is to “win a battle every day”. Let everyone know. Share the victory with the team.
3. Bash barriers. Well-oiled teams have a Leader who removes obstacles preventing people from getting things done. Priority 1 is to eliminate the Grunge that fosters inertia and stands in the way of advancement. Effective teams are effective only if they execute well. Be the Chief Barrier Basher for your team.
4. Translate your Strategy. Paint a picture of what it means to the team and each member of it. Effectiveness comes from every team member working in harmony. Everyone moving in the same direction. The Leader’s job is to define roles that eliminate the possibility of dysfunctional activity which gets in the way of progress.
5. Shout out the people and achievements that show that the Game Plan is being successfully implemented.
Effective Teams = Enlightened Leadership = Shared Vision = Brilliant Execution = Shared Accountability